Sgt. William H. Harrison
American Legion, Post 190
Portsmouth, VA 23704




Where to Start if a Military Retiree or Veteran Has Died

What to Do Afterwards

Whether you’re a spouse, a dependent who has recently lost your military veteran or you’re a retired military veteran looking to make sure all your “ducks are in a row” for your next of kin in case you pass away knowing what to do when a military veteran or retiree dies is important.

Where to Start if a Military Retiree or Veteran Has Died

First, you may need to contact the following agencies about the military member’s death:

 1.The Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS)


2. Your local Casualty Assistance Office


3. Veterans Administration


4. Social Security

5. Defense Eligibility Enrollment System (DEERS)

Contact the Defense Finance and Accounting Service

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service is the military pay agency. You will need to make an initial verbal report of the retirees/veteran’s death immediately. 


You can contact DFAS by:

Calling 1-888-332-7411 or 1-800-321-1080


Be sure to include a copy of the military member’s death certificate


Contact the Casualty Assistance Office= 1-800-626-3317

The casualty assistance office is in charge of taking requests as well as scheduling military funeral honors for the veteran who died. Funeral honors details will perform military rites for veterans, retirees and current service members of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Coast Guard

The Casualty Assistance Office will require a copy of the completed DD Form 214.In addition to funeral honors, the casualty assistance office may be able to help the family cope with the loss of their veteran, understand their entitlements and apply for various benefits.

Most often, funeral directors request a local veteran organization to provide funeral honors, but if specific arrangements are requested, talk to your Casualty Assistance Office about these requests.

The Casualty Assistance Office will need the following information in order to assist you:

Full name, rank and social security number of the deceased service member


Branch of service (Army, Navy, etc.) and component (active duty, reserve or National Guard)


Date and place of death


Circumstances of death (natural causes, accident, military service injury/illness, etc.)


 Name, address and phone number of the funeral home that is handling the details


Location, date and time of the memorial service at which the military honors are needed.

New VA facility coming to Chesapeake



It was announced Tuesday that a new Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will be built on the Chesapeake Regional Healthcare campus.


The proposed clinic is a two-story, state-of-the-art medical facility. It will be built near the Cypress Landing Veterans Housing and is projected to begin construction in 2022, with completion in the fall of 2024.

John Rogers with the Hampton VA Medical Center said the Chesapeake facility will also alleviate pressure on the Peninsula.


Jones & Cabacoy Veterans Care Center (Opening August 2022)

The Virginia ​Department of Veterans Services is building a 128-​bed, 141,000 square foot facility in the Princess Anne Commons corridor focusing on veterans’ care. The center will provide skilled nursing, Alzheimer's/memory care, and short-term rehabilitation services. The City of Virginia Beach will extend Nimmo Parkway to allow access to the facility. The grand opening is expected in late 2022.